IRID Symposium 2017 in Iwaki City:
- Challenging Toward Fuel Debris Retrieval -
The IRID symposium was held to introduce the research and development (R&D) achievements of technologies for the decommissioning of Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station (NPS), which has been developed by IRID.
The symposium in 2017 was intended to cultivate young researchers and engineers, as well as report the results of R&D that was conducted by IRID. The symposium was titled “Challenging Toward Fuel Debris Retrieval,” following the previous fiscal year.
- 1. Date and time : August 3, 2017 (Thurs), 13:00-16:45 (Opening at 12:30)
- 2. Place : 6th Floor, Exhibition Planning Hall, Iwaki Business Innovation Center LATOV
(Iwaki City, Fukushima Prefecture)
- 3. Program :
|by Hideo Ishibashi, IRID President|
|by Takeo Hoshino, Director-General for Nuclear Accident Disaster Response,
Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI)
|13:10-13:20||IRID introduction video|
|13:20-13:50||Presentation of “Approaching Fuel Debris”|
|by Hideaki Kiyoura, IRID’s General Manager of R&D Management Department|
|13:50-14:20||Presentation of “Fuel Debris Retrieval”|
|by Naoaki Okuzumi, IRID’s Senior Manager of R&D Strategy Planning Department|
|14:20-16:35||Communication Stage for the Decommissioning by R&D researchers|
|Engineers and students who are engaged in R&D answered questions
of symposium attendees through panel exhibitions,
robot demonstrations and video showing.
Overview of Symposium
- [Photos] Click image to enlarge.
Hideaki Kiyoura, IRID General Manager of R&D Management Department, delivered a lecture on the status of approaches to fuel debris retrieval at Fukushima Daiichi NPS. Additionally, Naoaki Okuzumi, Senior Manager of R&D Strategy Planning Department, introduced the results and progress of R&D conducted by IRID.
The symposium in 2017 was attended by approximately 310 people (including press members).
Reception of the symposium
Opening remarks by Hideo Ishibashi, President of IRID
Guest speech by Takeo Hoshino, Director-General for Nuclear Accident Disaster Response, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI)
Hideaki Kiyoura, General Manager of R&D Management Department, IRID
Session 2 featured panel exhibitions, video showing and robots demonstration.
This session provided an opportunity to promote communication with engineers and students who are engaged in R&D, and provide up-to-date information on IRID R&D projects.
Site tour at Fukushima Daiichi NPS and Japan Atomic Energy Agency (JAEA) Naraha Remote Technology Development Center
IRID organized a site tour at Fukushima Daiichi NPS and JAEA Nahara Remote Technology Development Center for students (including undergraduate, graduate students and students at the National Institute of Technologies) on Friday, August 4, 2017.
This site tour was intended to promote better understanding of R&D activities toward decommissioning for students who are expected to be engaged in decommissioning works. The tour provided an opportunity to visit an actual site for future research to be developed by students.
- [Photos] Click image to enlarge.
- Reports of Activities
- 6th Asian Nuclear Power Briefing 2018 (February 13, 2018)
- Lecture at the JAIF International Cooperation Center (JICC) (February 12, 2018)
- Visit to the U.S. Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) (January 29-30, 2018)
- Naoaki Okuzumi, Senior Manager of R&D Strategy Planning Department, Participated in the International Conference to Deliver a Lecture [OECD/NEA, SAREF/PreADES Project, and BSAF Project Phase-2 Workshop](January 18 and 22, 2018)
- Lecture by Dr. Hironori Adachi, Senior Manager of the R&D Management Department [Lecture Meeting on Nuclear Decommissioning and Contaminated Water Management] (December 20, 2017)
- Poster Display at "Japan Atomic Energy Agency (JAEA) Naraha Remote Technology Development Center" (26 November 2017)
- Poster Display at "Iwaki Industry Festa: Iwaki Industry Innovation Exhibition / Business Matching EXPO 2017" (24-25 November 2017)
- Booth Display at "Robot Festa Fukushima 2017" (22-23 November 2017)
- Naoaki Okuzumi, Senior Manager of R&D Strategy Planning Department, Gives Speech at the 26th Polymer Materials Forum (November 16, 2017)
- Poster Displays at “Special Exhibition of Nuclear Decommissioning and Operational Extension: Current Situation of Nuclear Power Stations in Fukui Prefecture.” (November 3-12, 2017)
- IRID President Hideo Ishibashi Delivers Lecture at RADIEX 2017 (October 20, 2017)
- IRID Presentation at the 34th JAIF-KAIF Seminar on Nuclear Industry (October 16, 2017)
- IRID Lectures at the 2017 Fall Meeting of the Atomic Energy Society of Japan
- IRID Symposium 2017 in Iwaki City: – Challenging Toward Fuel Debris Retrieval -
- Visit to Mississippi State University and Hanford Site [Nuclear Waste Treatment Plant] in USA
- Lecture by IRID Executive Director Atsufumi Yoshizawa at ICAPP 2017 (April 28, 2017)
- Booth Display at ‘Robot Festa Fukushima’ (November 19, 2016)
- Participation in ‘Science Agora 2016′ (November 5-6, 2016)
- Mr. Hirofumi Kenda, President of IRID, Delivers Lecture for RADIEX 2016 (October 20, 2016)
- Mr. Atsufumi Yoshizawa, Executive Director, Addresses the Atomic Energy Society of Japan 2016 Fall Meeting (September 9, 2016)
- IRID Symposium 2016 in Tokyo Develop the Future for Decommissioning (August 4th, 2016)
- Dr. Kotoku and Mr. Ohhashi, both of Deputy General Managers, lectured at International Conference on Advancing the Global Implementation of Decommissioning and Environmental Remediation Programmes. (May 23rd – May 27th, 2016)
- Lecture by Mr. Kiichi Suganuma, Executive Director of IRID, at the Third Japan-U.S. Decommissioning and Remediation Fukushima Recovery Forum (Feb. 24, 2016)
- Lecture by Mr. Kiyoshi Oikawa, Director of IRID, entitled “International Workshop on the Use of Robotic Technologies at Nuclear Facilities” (Feb. 3, 2016)
- Participation in the International Robot Exhibition 2015 -Exhibition of Decommissioning Robots and Lecture by IRID Director Kiyoshi Oikawa-(Dec. 2-5, 2015)
- Lecture Delivered by Mr. Kiichi Suganuma, Executive Director of IRID at the Fifth World Engineering Conference and Convention (Dec.1, 2015)
- Participation in Science Agora 2015 -Introduction of Robots for Nuclear Decommissioning and Announcement of IRID’s R&D Achievements-(Nov. 14-15, 2015)
- Exhibition at an IRID booth at the Robot Festa Fukushima 2015 -Introduction of Robots for Decommissioning-(Nov. 3, 2015)
- Lecture by Tetsuo Kotoku, IRID Deputy General Manager, R&D Strategy Planning Department at 2015 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS 2015) (Oct. 2, 2015)
- Report on IRID’s R&D Achievements at 2015 Fall Meeting of the Atomic Energy Society of Japan (Sept. 11, 2015)
- The 33-rd Annual Conference of the Robotics Society of Japan (Sept. 3-5, 2015)
- IRID Symposium 2015 in Fukushima – Create a Path to Decommissioning “Approaching Molten Fuel Debris” -
- Lecture by IRID President Hirofumi Kenda at RADIEX2015 (Jul. 15-17, 2015)
- The 12th Scientific Lecture Meeting of the Japan Society of Maintenology (Jul. 13 -15, 2015)
- Lectures by IRID Director Kiyoshi Oikawa and Deputy Manager Yasuaki Miyamoto at the German-Japanese Symposium on Technological and Educational Resources for the Decommissioning of Nuclear Facilities (April 21, 2015)
- Lecture by Takashi Sato, General Manager of IRID R&D Management Department [2nd Japan-U.S. Decommissioning and Remediation Fukushima Recovery Forum] (Apr. 9, 2015)
- Lecture by IRID Executive Director Kiichi Suganuma at the Chubu Atomic Industrial Conference (Feb. 13, 2015)
- Lecture Delivered by IRID Director Kiyoshi Oikawa at the Regular Meeting of the Iwaki Association of Corporate Executives. (Dec. 5, 2014)
- Lecture Delivered by IRID Director Kiyoshi Oikawa at the 4th ‘NEXT 30 Study Group’ research seminar (Oct. 29, 2014)
- President of IRID, Mr. Kenda gave a speech [WRFPM2014]
- 2014 Fall Meetings of Atomic Energy Society of Japan
- Keynote Speech by IRID Director Kiyoshi Oikawa at the Inauguration of the Nuclear Decommissioning Council, Koriyama City (July 24, 2014)
- Lecture Delivered by IRID Director Toshihiko Fukuda to The Association for Nuclear Decommissioning Study Fourth Workshop FY2014 (July 22, 2014)
- IRID Annual Symposium 2014 IRID activities for nuclear decommissioning
- Lecture by IRID President Hajimu Yamana to MBA21 (May 28, 2014)
- Speech by IRID President Hajimu Yamana to the Nuclear Systems Association (May 20, 2014)
- Finnish Delegation Visited
- Special Lecture given by Mr. Lake Barrett (April 29, 2014)
- Visit by Members of the Fukushima Prefectural Assembly to the Kyoto University Research Reactor Institute (April 10, 2014)
- Presentation to the Atomic Energy Society of Japan Chubu Branch by IRID Executive Director Kazuhiro Suzuki (May 14, 2014)
- Press conference held at the Japan National Press Club by the President of IRID,