A Lecture by Dr. Tamio Arai at Academic Network contributing to Fukushima Reconstruction and Reactor Decommissioning (ANFURD): Workshop on Potential Issues for Fuel Debris Retrieval
(May 15, 2018)
The International Research Institute for Nuclear Decommissioning (IRID) delivers lectures on research and development (R&D) for the decommissioning activities of the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station (NPS) through various events.
As part of the activities, a lecture was given at the workshop of the Academic Network contributing to Fukushima Reconstruction and Reactor Decommissioning (ANFURD).
The ANFURD was established with the aim of promoting more effective and efficient activities for the Fukushima Daiichi NPS accident. It was organized by the Japan Atomic Energy Society of Japan in 2016 to contribute to the reconstruction of Fukushima by mutual cooperation among the ANFURD members through information exchange.
The workshop was intended to be utilized for further decommissioning activities by sharing issues and welcoming opinions for solutions to potential issues in fuel debris retrieval for the decommissioning of the Fukushima Daiichi NPS now that seven years have passed since the accident.
In the workshop, Dr. Tamio Arai, Vice President of IRID, gave a lecture titled “Current Status of Technology for Fuel Debris Retrieval and Expectation to the ANFURD.”
The lecture covered the achievements of decommissioning robots as well as the current situation and issues for fuel debris retrieval. During the lecture, Dr. Arai concluded that nuclear decommissioning is a long-term-project that may last another generation and that IRID is seeking understanding and support for on-site decommissioning.
IRID promotes positive cooperation between universities and research institutes through lectures and on-site services.
Please visit the ANFURD website below.
*This page is only in Japanese.
- Click [Photo] to enlarge images.
- Reports of Activities
- A Lecture by Naoaki Okuzumi, Senior Manager of R&D Strategy Planning Department at the Warsaw JAIF International Cooperation Center (JICC) in Poland (May 17, 2018)
- A Lecture by Dr. Tamio Arai at Academic Network contributing to Fukushima Reconstruction and Reactor Decommissioning (ANFURD): Workshop on Potential Issues for Fuel Debris Retrieval (May 15, 2018)
- Booth Display at the 89th Fukushima Prefecture May Day (April 28, 2018)
- Atomic Energy Society of Japan Symposium / Nuclear Decommissioning of TEPCO’s Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Stations: Key Issues and Perspectives , A Lecture by Vice President Dr. Tamio Arai (March 18, 2018)
- 6th Asian Nuclear Power Briefing 2018 (February 13, 2018)
- Lecture at the JAIF International Cooperation Center (JICC) (February 12, 2018)
- Visit to the U.S. Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) (January 29-30, 2018)
- Naoaki Okuzumi, Senior Manager of R&D Strategy Planning Department, Participated in the International Conference to Deliver a Lecture [OECD/NEA, SAREF/PreADES Project, and BSAF Project Phase-2 Workshop](January 18 and 22, 2018)
- Lecture by Dr. Hironori Adachi, Senior Manager of the R&D Management Department [Lecture Meeting on Nuclear Decommissioning and Contaminated Water Management] (December 20, 2017)
- Poster Display at "Japan Atomic Energy Agency (JAEA) Naraha Remote Technology Development Center" (26 November 2017)
- Poster Display at "Iwaki Industry Festa: Iwaki Industry Innovation Exhibition / Business Matching EXPO 2017" (24-25 November 2017)
- Booth Display at "Robot Festa Fukushima 2017" (22-23 November 2017)
- Naoaki Okuzumi, Senior Manager of R&D Strategy Planning Department, Gives Speech at the 26th Polymer Materials Forum (November 16, 2017)
- Poster Displays at "Special Exhibition of Nuclear Decommissioning and Operational Extension: Current Situation of Nuclear Power Stations in Fukui Prefecture." (November 3-12, 2017)
- IRID President Hideo Ishibashi Delivers Lecture at RADIEX 2017 (October 20, 2017)
- IRID Presentation at the 34th JAIF-KAIF Seminar on Nuclear Industry (October 16, 2017)
- IRID Lectures at the 2017 Fall Meeting of the Atomic Energy Society of Japan
- IRID Symposium 2017 in Iwaki City: – Challenging Toward Fuel Debris Retrieval -
- Lecture by IRID Executive Director Atsufumi Yoshizawa at ICAPP 2017 (April 28, 2017)
- Booth Display at ‘Robot Festa Fukushima’ (November 19, 2016)
- Participation in ‘Science Agora 2016′ (November 5-6, 2016)
- Mr. Hirofumi Kenda, President of IRID, Delivers Lecture for RADIEX 2016 (October 20, 2016)
- Mr. Atsufumi Yoshizawa, Executive Director, Addresses the Atomic Energy Society of Japan 2016 Fall Meeting (September 9, 2016)
- IRID Symposium 2016 in Tokyo Develop the Future for Decommissioning (August 4th, 2016)
- Dr. Kotoku and Mr. Ohhashi, both of Deputy General Managers, lectured at International Conference on Advancing the Global Implementation of Decommissioning and Environmental Remediation Programmes. (May 23rd – May 27th, 2016)
- Lecture by Mr. Kiichi Suganuma, Executive Director of IRID, at the Third Japan-U.S. Decommissioning and Remediation Fukushima Recovery Forum (Feb. 24, 2016)
- Lecture by Mr. Kiyoshi Oikawa, Director of IRID, entitled “International Workshop on the Use of Robotic Technologies at Nuclear Facilities” (Feb. 3, 2016)
- Participation in the International Robot Exhibition 2015 -Exhibition of Decommissioning Robots and Lecture by IRID Director Kiyoshi Oikawa-(Dec. 2-5, 2015)
- Lecture Delivered by Mr. Kiichi Suganuma, Executive Director of IRID at the Fifth World Engineering Conference and Convention (Dec.1, 2015)
- Participation in Science Agora 2015 -Introduction of Robots for Nuclear Decommissioning and Announcement of IRID’s R&D Achievements-(Nov. 14-15, 2015)
- Exhibition at an IRID booth at the Robot Festa Fukushima 2015 -Introduction of Robots for Decommissioning-(Nov. 3, 2015)
- Lecture by Tetsuo Kotoku, IRID Deputy General Manager, R&D Strategy Planning Department at 2015 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS 2015) (Oct. 2, 2015)
- Report on IRID’s R&D Achievements at 2015 Fall Meeting of the Atomic Energy Society of Japan (Sept. 11, 2015)
- The 33-rd Annual Conference of the Robotics Society of Japan (Sept. 3-5, 2015)
- IRID Symposium 2015 in Fukushima – Create a Path to Decommissioning “Approaching Molten Fuel Debris” -
- Lecture by IRID President Hirofumi Kenda at RADIEX2015 (Jul. 15-17, 2015)
- The 12th Scientific Lecture Meeting of the Japan Society of Maintenology (Jul. 13 -15, 2015)
- Lectures by IRID Director Kiyoshi Oikawa and Deputy Manager Yasuaki Miyamoto at the German-Japanese Symposium on Technological and Educational Resources for the Decommissioning of Nuclear Facilities (April 21, 2015)
- Lecture by Takashi Sato, General Manager of IRID R&D Management Department [2nd Japan-U.S. Decommissioning and Remediation Fukushima Recovery Forum] (Apr. 9, 2015)
- Lecture by IRID Executive Director Kiichi Suganuma at the Chubu Atomic Industrial Conference (Feb. 13, 2015)
- Lecture Delivered by IRID Director Kiyoshi Oikawa at the Regular Meeting of the Iwaki Association of Corporate Executives. (Dec. 5, 2014)
- Lecture Delivered by IRID Director Kiyoshi Oikawa at the 4th ‘NEXT 30 Study Group’ research seminar (Oct. 29, 2014)
- President of IRID, Mr. Kenda gave a speech [WRFPM2014]
- 2014 Fall Meetings of Atomic Energy Society of Japan
- Keynote Speech by IRID Director Kiyoshi Oikawa at the Inauguration of the Nuclear Decommissioning Council, Koriyama City (July 24, 2014)
- Lecture Delivered by IRID Director Toshihiko Fukuda to The Association for Nuclear Decommissioning Study Fourth Workshop FY2014 (July 22, 2014)
- IRID Annual Symposium 2014 IRID activities for nuclear decommissioning
- Lecture by IRID President Hajimu Yamana to MBA21 (May 28, 2014)
- Speech by IRID President Hajimu Yamana to the Nuclear Systems Association (May 20, 2014)
- Finnish Delegation Visited
- Special Lecture given by Mr. Lake Barrett (April 29, 2014)
- Visit by Members of the Fukushima Prefectural Assembly to the Kyoto University Research Reactor Institute (April 10, 2014)
- Presentation to the Atomic Energy Society of Japan Chubu Branch by IRID Executive Director Kazuhiro Suzuki (May 14, 2014)
- Press conference held at the Japan National Press Club by the President of IRID,